Habitat for Humanity Seaway Valley - Job Details
Posted: May 21, 2021
Expires: Jun 21, 2021
HABITAT FOR HUMANITY COUNTIES & THE COUNTIES
Assistant Build Coordinator 2021
Canada Summer Jobs – 10 Week Summer Contract
Habitat for Humanity Cornwall & The Counties
Founded in 1998, Habitat for Humanity Cornwall & The Counties is a non-profit organization working towards a world where everyone has a safe and decent place to live. Our mission is to mobilize volunteers and community partners in building affordable housing and promoting home-ownership as a means to breaking the cycle of poverty. With the help of countless community volunteers we have provided 15 families with 38 children safe, decent and affordable housing.
Habitat for Humanity houses are not given away. Partner Families work with Habitat for Humanity to purchase the home that they help build. In place of a traditional, financial down payment, Partner Families commit 500 hours of volunteer work. Upon completion of the home, Partner Families purchase the home from Habitat at fair market value with an interest free mortgage. The monthly mortgage payments will never exceed 30% of a family's income. These mortgage payments are directed to a designated fund that helps to build more homes.
In addition, Habitat for Humanity Cornwall & The Counties operates a ReStore, based in Cornwall, Ontario. Revenue generated by the ReStore assists to offset day to day costs of the affiliate while offering an affordable shopping option. The ReStore is stocked entirely through donations, helping waste diversion from local landfills. Since the inventory is comprised of donations, we do not have to charge tax to customers.
Assistant Build Coordinator – Summer Position
The Assistant Build Coordinator will assist in aspects of Habitat for Humanity Cornwall & The Counties’ 2021 Cornwall Home Build. The position will include active participation and labour on site, interaction with the commuity, trades people, donors, volunteers, Partner Family and staff. This postion will coordinate with on and off site staff to ensure a timely build process while also taking an active role in site safety practices including enforcement.
Job responsibilities and duties
Responsibilities and duties will include, but not be limited to:
· Take part in daily labour on the build site under the direction of the Build Site Supervisor and Build Coordinator
· Provide instruction and distribute and recollect safety equipment and personal protective equipment at the beginning and end of each shift
· Greet Build Site volunteers upon site arrival and accept volunteer applications on site while also ensuring all contributions are appropriatley acknowledged
· Tracking volunteer hours on a daily basis and report back to the Build Coordinator
· Manage the refreshment supply for build volunteers
· Complete other duties as assigned. If the Home Build is delayed due to weather, etc, tasks will be assigned at the ReStore or Affiliate office to assist further with the Home Build and organizational goals.
· Operate under the direct supervision of the Build Site Supervisor on a daily basis. The position will also receive guidance and be tasked by the Build Coordinator.
· Complete other duties as assigned which may assist in furthering the goals and objectives of Habitat for Humanity Cornwall & The Counties
· Some evening and weekend shifts will be necessary
· Secondary School Education (in progress or completed)
· Bilingualism an asset
· Ability to lift heavy objects (approx. 45 pounds) repeatedly
· Must provide own CSA approved footwear
· Must be willing to wear and maintain appropriate PPE as per public health measures
Field of Studies/Skill Set
An individual in the fields of engineering, construction technology or building project management would be exceptional candidates for this position. The hands-on experience with an active home build site is integral to any of the aforementioned fields.
- Standard First Aid and CPR preferred
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- Proven ability to work with a volunteer workforce
- Knowledge of Habitat for Humanity and construction experience an asset
To be eligible for this position as funded by Canada Summer Jobs, candidates must meet the following criteria:
· Between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment ;
· Is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been confirmed under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act* for the duration of the employment;
· Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
*Please note, international students are not eligible.
This position is based on a contract of 37.5 hours per week for 10 weeks (350 hours total) beginning June 21, 2021 as per Canada Summer Jobs, with a salary of $14.25/hour.
To apply for this position
Please provide a resume in addition to a cover letter clearly outlining your qualifications for this position. Applications will be accepted until June 7, 2021 to the Build Project Coordinator as listed. All information received will be held in confidence. No phone inquiries will be accepted.
In compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Habitat for Humanity Cornwall & The Counties is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. Applicants must make their needs known in advance. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Reference ID: Build CSJ
Application deadline: 2021-06-07
Expected start date: 2021-06-21
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $14.25 per hour
- On-site parking
- Store discount
- 8 hour shift
PPE, sanitizing protocols